What Our Volunteers Need To Complete
We appreciate the time our volunteers give to our organization! The USC BPA greatly depends on the adult volunteers to help us support the efforts of our student musicians and auxiliary.
Since 2014, the Child Protective Services Law (CPSL) has required background checks for all volunteers in schools as a means to promote the safety of children. USCSD is requiring these clearances for all volunteers who have direct contact with children at any school-related event. The CPSL defines “direct contact with children” as “The care, supervision, guidance or control of children or routine interaction with children.” Because almost all USC BPA volunteer opportunities involve working with students, the BPA encourages all band parents to have their clearances completed.
Up to date information on the process for submitting clearances can be found on the USCSD website (www.uscsd.k12.pa.us) on the district and schools home pages in the center column. Please Note: Clearances are processed by outside agencies and it will take time for them to be completed. Prospective volunteers are encouraged to complete the process as soon as possible.
Individuals are NOT approved to volunteer until they have been contacted by a district representative.
Also, before any volunteer opportunity, the chairperson over the volunteers contacts Central Office to ensure the volunteers are cleared.
If you have any questions or concerns about volunteer clearances, please contact:
- Stacey Liguori, 412-833-1600 ext 2286 or firstname.lastname@example.org or
- Karen Wengryn, 412-833-1600 ext 2004 or email@example.com
Steps to become a volunteer:
- Obtain the following required clearances:
- PA Criminal Record Check (Act 34), FREE Follow the instructions through to the Certification Page. Once the search results table appears, click on the Control Number. Click on the Certification Page to access, save and print your official Clearance.
- PA Child Abuse History (Act 151), FREE Creating an account and submitting your clearance application online will give you immediate access to your results or the status of your results if your results cannot be processed immediately.
- If applicable, FBI Criminal History (Act 114), $21.35; Individuals who have resided in Pennsylvania for the past 10 consecutive years DO NOT need to obtain this clearance. Once on the IndentoGO website, select Schedule or Manage Appointment, where you will complete the online form to begin processing your clearance. During this process, you will have the opportunity to locate and make an appointment at a fingerprinting service center. Be sure to bring all required documentation to your appointment.
- Download and complete the Volunteer Disclosure Statement. This document must be signed, dated and witnessed. It does NOTneed to be notarized. As stated on the disclosure statement, you are required to notify the district, in writing within 72 hours if you are arrested for or convicted of an offense that would constitute grounds for denying participation as a volunteer, or you are named as a perpetrator in a child abuse report. Willful failure to do so has criminal implications and may jeopardize your ability to volunteer within the district. Please notify Mrs. Amy Pfender, director of student support services, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-833-1600 ext. 2062.
- After completing Steps 1 and 2, submit requested information via the following online form: Volunteer Clearance Verification Form. Upon completing Step 3, you will receive a confirmation email.
- Print two (2) copies of each required document: one for your records and one to submit to the Upper St. Clair School District.
- Place district copies in a sealed envelope marked “CONFIDENTIAL VOLUNTEER CLEARANCES”. This packet may be submitted one of two ways:
- Hand deliver to the DROP OFF BOX at the school district’s Central Office
- Send via U.S. mail to the following address:
Upper St. Clair School District Central Office
Attn: Confidential Volunteer Clearances
1820 McLaughlin Run Road
Upper St. Clair, PA 15241
Please note that clearances may NOT be submitted via email. Be sure to retain copies of all clearances for your records.
- Clearance documents will be reviewed by Human Resources personnel. Please note that individuals are NOT approved to volunteer until they have been contacted by a district representative.
- You will be contacted via email once this review process is complete (approximately five business days).
We thank you for taking the time to complete your clearances. We appreciate every set of hands that voluntarily helps out.
Click here to open the Upper St. Clair School District Clearances page.
Why join the BPA?
Successful students make successful schools— which make thriving communities. Everyone benefits when you support our music department students!