Pennsylvania Music Educators AssociationPMEA
This year, Upper St Clair High School/Sara Shoemaker,
will be hosting JHS District Orchestra,
March 22, 2019 and March 23, 2019The Pennsylvania Music Educators Association (PMEA) is a statewide nonprofit organization of over 4,500 members, dedicated to promoting the musical development of all Pennsylvanians. The present membership evolved from a small group of band directors dating from 1933. Today, the organization includes those engaged in music instruction at all levels, from preschool through college and university, as well as those in the music industry, merchandising and publishing. The organization promotes and supports quality music education, learning and performance as well as promoting and supporting music education in schools and communities. PMEA is affiliated with The National Association for Music Education, NAfME. Upper St. Clair is in District 1.Student Ensembles and Options:
- District 1 Honors Band & Orchestra:
- Honors Band & Orchestra are auditioned ensembles for students in grades 9 - 12. Auditions are highly competitive and use music from the Audition Music Rotation List. See Mr. Pickell for more information.
- Senior High District Band & Orchestra:
- Grades 10 - 12
- SH District Band and Orchestra are chosen from student applications submitted by the director. If accepted, students will receive music and audition for seating. Top chairs will move on to Region Band or Orchestra, followed by State Band or Orchestra.
- Junior High District Band & Orchestra:
- Grades 7 - 9
- JH District Band and Orchestra are chosen from student applications submitted by the director.
- Honors Jazz Ensemble
- Auditions are highly competitive and use music from the Audition Music Rotation List.
- Generally, two bands are chosen with traditional jazz instruments (Alto Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone, Trumpet, Trombone, Bass, Drumset, Piano, Guitar)
- State Jazz Ensemble
- The State Jazz Ensemble is chosen by online submission of an audition. Audition Materials are chosen each year and posted on the PMEA website.
Here's a link to PMEA Pages:JHS Festivals 2018-2019 (Bands, Choral, Strings)
- Future Music Educators Honors Symposium
- Offered in conjunction with the annual State conference, this program introduces some of the finest Pennsylvania high school seniors planning to major in music education with an up-close and personal look into what teaching music is all about. Through the symposium students are introduced to professionals in our field who share with them the realities and expectations of the daily life as a music teacher. College music students guide them through what to expect in their first two years of study and a panel of music professors offer their tips for a successful first year as a music major.
- PMEA Composition Program
- Grades 9 - 12
- The purpose of the event is to promote and encourage student composition
Monday, September 24, 2018
PMEA Honors Orchestra Auditions
Fox Chapel Area High School
Monday, October 1, 2018
PMEA Honors Band Auditions
Friday, October 26, 2018 & Saturday, October 27, 2018
PMEA Honors Choir Festival
Baldwin-Whitehall High School
Saturday November 3, 2018
PMEA Piano Accompanist Auditions
Mt. Lebanon High School
Saturday, November 10, 2018, Saturday, November 17, 2018, & Sunday, November 18, 2018
PMEA Honors Band Festival
North Hills High School & Bethel Park High School
Wreaths Across America
USCBPA is asking friends and family to sponsor wreaths at The National Cemetery of the Alleghenies for the holiday season. When you sponsor a wreath, you honor our military and help support our music program. The USC band programs have a long, proud tradition of participating in local Veterans' Day observances and parades. This fundraiser offers an opportunity to expand on that tradition.
Parent and student volunteers needed on November 16th and 17th.